Monday, June 16, 2008

Teaching English, Getting Comfortable

My first week teaching was both challenging and exciting. I have never taught more than one person at a time. Now I am in charge of teaching English to ten students. I have enjoyed my first week with them. They are all really nice and want to learn. The hardest part is that not everyone is at the same English level. I have a couple of students that are fluent and can write but on the other hand, I have students that can barely understand what I am saying.
The second week was much better. The students are starting to loosen up and I am getting more comfortable as their teacher. They really enjoyed the field trip this week. I wanted to show them that English isn't just for the classroom. We will definitely be taking another trip.

*The class is Monday to Thursday from 9:00am to 12:00pm

A brief overview of the past weeks (each week has a theme that I try to incorporate into the
lesson plans and field trips):

Week 1: Game Week
  • Monday
    • Overview of program
    • Icebreaker (get to know your classmates)
    • Games:
      • Picture, telephone?
        • Draw the Picture
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
    • Short Story: "Just Once" by Thomas J. Dygard
    • Read out loud and discuss with class
  • Thursday
    • Movie: The Game Plan
Week 2: Career Week
  • Monday
    • Talk about professions they are interested in
    • Activity: look up information about a profession you are interested in and share the results with the class.
  • Tuesday
    • Talk about elements of a story
    • Book report:
      • Choose a short book from the library
      • Read it and write a report
      • Share the results with the class
  • Wednesday
    • Watch Grey's Anatomy and House
  • Thursday
    • Field Trip: Visit a veterinary clinic

1 comment:

Jenyford smith said...

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. Private Tutor Winter Park I like this kind of blog. Thanks for sharing informative information with us